Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World: Scott Pilgrim... wins!

When I first watched this movie, I saw it by myself, in the theater, sandwiched between The Expendables and Despicable Me.  Three different movies, three completely different styles.  While I liked all three of them, I feel like Scott Pilgrim easily brought the most new stuff to the table.  Ever wanted to see a movie that is so good, you jump up in the theater and shout "HELL YEAH!" while removing your clothes and joining in a spontaneous joy orgy?  Well too bad.  That movie is not a movie, it is a drug called Ecstasy, and it's illegal.  This movie is pretty good though.


                  Scott Pilgrim vs. The World
Apparently, it's epic.
                                                                   

Let me begin this review by saying that generally, Michael Cera is an actor who makes me want to turn to the person next to me and headbutt them in the nose.  I haven't liked any movies he was in up until I saw this.  So for those of you who are anti-Cera like me, you should still give this movie a chance.  If you watch it and still decide to assault somebody in a Michael-Cera-Awkwardness induced rage, I absolve myself of all responsibility.

The director of this film, Edgar Wright, is beloved to me.  Having made Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz (one of my favorites ever), he also holds the distinction of being of of the few people who have made me embarass myself in a public theater due to excessive and obnoxious laughter.  But what of this film?  It may not be hilariously funny like his previous offerings, but it does deliver a consistent number of snickers, snorts and chortles.  Even a chuckle here and there.

Some people may be asking themselves, this movie looks like it is too ridiculous (hi, Derek!).  Well, it certainly is a bit ridiculous.  But not too.  Too ridiculous is a giant robot peeing on a federal marshal, or two giant robots who are obvious and offensive racial stereotypes.  Or, really, almost anything else from transformers.  No, I find Scott Pilgrim to be just ridiculous enough that it is fresh while not groan-inducing.  It is probably not like anything else you have seen, but I think that is true in the best sense when it comes to this movie.

People who will like this movie:
  1. Video gamers.  Lots of nods to the video game crowd here, with status bars popping up here and there and the frequent use of video game sounds and retro gaming music.
  2. Grunge Rockers.  A fair amount of music in this movie that I really enjoyed.  Heavy on the bass and the distortion, but I like the way it sounds.  And it fits the movie perfectly.
  3. Action people.  The action in this was really fun, well directed, and didn't take over the whole movie.  And completely a bonus too, considering I expected nothing on this front from the movie.
People who will not like this movie:
  1. Squares.
  2. Wankers.
  3. Tools.
  4. Probably the emo crowd.  But what do they like?
One last point.  My biggest qualm with the movie?  What have they done with Mary Elizabeth Winstead?!  They took her and de-hotted her like she was Charlize in "Monster."  Hmm, a little bit inappropriate there, but you get the picture.  Maybe you don't get the picture... here is the picture(s).

Winstead in the movie.  No, Not the dude.

And here is normal Winstead...!!!
I'm not sure that's even the same person.  Oh well, you can't win 'em all right?

Anyways,  Scott Pilgrim vs The World is one of my favorites of 2010.  Watch it, enjoy it, but if you don't, don't come crying to me because I'm just going to tell you you are wrong.

The Scores:
Action: 8/10
Music: 9/10
Cera: 7/10 (beat his previous best of 3/10)
Winstead:  Not in this movie, as far as I know.
Vegans destroyed: 1

Overall: Much goodness.


No comments:

Post a Comment