Sunday, November 7, 2010

V for Vendetta- Best Guy Fawkes related movie ever made?

With the fifth of november having just passed, we all have one more Guy Fawkes Day celebration under our belts.  I know that I, personally, am still hung over from the whole affair.  Best holiday!  And how better to honor the man than to put on a mask, kick some ass, and talk really cool.  Instead of doing that, however, I decided to watch a movie about a guy who is trying to be a modern day Guy.  Here is a picture of said movie:



Yes, I realize that is a CD cover.  Anyways.  Nerd that I am, I like to sit down on November 5th every year and watch the movie "V for Vendetta."  Because they talk about November 5th in the movie guys!  Its like watching "Halloween" ON HALLOWEEN.  But I digress and oh my god I left on the italics.  My bad.  

In all seriousness, I do love this movie.  The writing is good, but it is the actors who really bring it in this film.  Multiple times during the movie I had the thought that if the wrong people were saying the same lines, it would come across as cheesy at best.  Just watch the movie and try to imagine, for example, Tom Cruise or Christian Bale as V.  It just doesn't work.  Hugo Weaving is quite frankly awesome, and I love every one of his speeches which he delivers with panache and gravitas which are two words that I don't know the meaning of.   Natalie Portman does an attractive excellent job in her role of Evey Hammond, the skeptical but fed up citizen of an oppressed populace. She hits all of the right notes in all of the right places, providing a handful of moments that give me goosebumps.  I call them "Goosebump moments."
  
I also love the overall tone of this movie.  When it came out, I had some people tell me that they wouldn't see the movie because the heard it "promoted terrorism."  In the words of british people, I say bollocks.  Bollocks!  This is a movie that promotes freedom and rights and baby unicorns and other good things.  "People should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people."  That is damn right.

If that isn't enough to entice you, this movie even has a little bit of action and an excellent soundtrack.  This movie is a must watch unless you are a crybaby whiner who read the graphic novels and feel as though the movie didn't do it justice.  Get over it, alright?  At least they didn't demolish one of your favorite books like they did to "Relic" and "Congo."  Ugh.

Is this the best Guy Fawkes related movie ever?  I say thee Yea!
The scores:

Speechifying:  A+
# of "Oh snap!" moments:  4
Hotness:  7/10
Thomas Little standard of awesomeness:  Pass

Overall score: A+47Awesome

2 comments:

  1. 4 oh snaps seems a little conservative.. this movie is "oh snap"-licious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are probably right. I think I am attributing many of the missing "oh snap" moments to other kinds of moments with equal goodness.

    ReplyDelete